Sunday, September 18, 2016

Don’t watch pockets, watch moves



Don’t watch another mans pockets, was something that was echoed through my childhood and adult life. "Don’t count that man’s pockets", I’d hear that even if it was a discussion about pro players signing million dollar contracts. It sounds silly and may not make sense, but I understand it.
 Don’t be concerned with what the next person is doing financially. Run your own race and be concerned with that and that alone. You’ll spend too much time on linkedin trying to figure out what moves your peers are making when you should be gaining skills to increase your own net worth! I say all of that to say this… you need to stop watching pockets and watch moves…….

I once had a  top level supervisor, who undoubtedly made double what I was bringing home. I’m not counting his pockets but just stating the obvious (LOL). I mean the man had a reserved parking spot at the building! In my rush into the office one day I stopped and noticed his car was parked in his spot as it normally is but for the first time ever I NOTICED what type of car it was….. a 2012 Honda Accord. Now this isn’t a dig at Honda Accords as I think they’re one of the most dependable cars on the market. I can't lie though, I wasn’t expecting that to be the car of choice for our company's CEO. I def wasn't counting his pockets but I undoubtedly took notice of his MOVE. Could this man  easily afforded a Bentley? Of course, I'm out here making USED mercedes benz money I think its safe to say he was easily making Bentley money (Still not counting pockets LOL). There's a reason why CEOs are CEOs. They may not always be smarter than their employees but they have enough knowledge to know how to get to the top and stay there. You need to watch those moves that the top tier leaders make and see how you can apply that to your life. If someone asked me if I wanted 10 million dollars or a chance to shadow Warren Buffett for awhile, that is an easy answer. I would love to watch and learn why he does the things the way he does, his thought process behind each and every business transaction he has his hand in. Those lessons learned can be applied to everyday life and assist with not only saving money but making it!
The fact he wasn't driving a foreign car means nothing . It also means nothing as far as the respect we had for him. I recognized the smart move and starting watching other moves he was making. All of his smart MOVES put him in a position to retire by the young age of 50. Last time I heard about him, he was in Miami living the life, getting his kids through college and paid for two weddings within this last year alone. I am not in this man's pockets so I do not know his net worth but I do know that he drove a economy level car to work every day and retired early.
Remember, watch moves not pockets

 

No comments:

Post a Comment