Monday, October 19, 2015

Let’s buy a suit- but FIRST, you need a tailor...

 
 
Let's buy a suit- but FIRST, you need a tailor….
 

There is no better feeling than getting out the shower listening to James Brown’s “The Payback” (if that’s not your wave, maybe “Suit and Tie” by Justin Timberlake), thumbing through your closet, looking for the suit you’ll wear for the day. This is the reason why if I have to wear a suit to an event, you better expect me to be at least thirty minutes late. It is a FULL ON dance party while getting dressed. For those of you that are judging right now… don’t judge me on my vices (IF you can call it that) and I won’t judge yours. I’ve never stood in line for a different color of a sneaker that came out when I was middle school (No Shade). Like any person trying to get you addicted to something, I won’t attempt to jump you to my level of affection for wearing suits. Think of this as the “Gateway Drug” of Suit Addiction. So we’ll start with the very first thing you need to do before you worry yourself about fabrics, three buttons or two buttons , double or single breasted; finding a tailor.

A tailor is one of the most important people in your life! Why, you may ask? Because a good tailor will not only make you look good in a suit but they will also save you time and money! And if you’ve been reading this blog, you know that’s very near and dear to us! If you don’t have a tailor, you may not fully understand the duties or benefits of having one dedicated tailor. So allow me to educate. I buy suits like most men buy sneakers. I’ve never been into sneakers (but don’t test me, I have a collection that would still impress), suits have always been my thing. Like most children I looked forward to Easter, but only because I looked forward to getting that brand new suit. Of course the suits were Stacey Adams collection (think Kings of Comedy- baggy, loud colors), but I was happy none the less to be in a new suit. As an adult male, events where you’re required to wear a suit will sometimes pop right up on you. For example, I was recently invited to a black tie gala, and didn’t own a black suit (Black suits are like air force ones, if you have a pair cool- but it’s not like you really need them). So I had to run to my tailor and drop garments off to be tailored. Most tailors would require at least two weeks, which if I relied on the stores tailor, would’ve caused me to miss my event. But with my personal tailor knowing the way I like my suits cut, this allowed me to get garments altered within a day.

You may be thinking there’s no way you’ll ever need a suit in your line of work. Sure, you can wear a shirt and tie to that wedding, but you’re not a teenager anymore bud, that isn’t going to fly. Think of it this way, you know when your lady puts on that black dress how much you like it. She feels the same way when she sees you in a well-tailored suit. Your tailor is the person that can provide that look! Now here’s how you save money…

Idiots will tell you that you need to buy a name brand suit. If it’s not made by some fancy designer, then it isn’t a good suit. I call bullshit! No matter who a suit is made by, a (good)tailor can make it look like a designer suit on you! Don’t go wasting your money on a suit, thinking the more it cost, the better it will be. Whenever I have time to kill in a city, I normally stop into suit shops and browse their inventory. I’ve came across some great finds on clearance racks. Are these suits made by the who’s who of the industry?? Nope. But do I get the same reaction when I put them on?? YUP! Why?? Because I take these suits to the tailor so that I can get the cut that looks good on me.

So don’t spend too much thought into getting expensive suits, but focus on getting a great tailor. If you see a guy that wears suits often and you like the cut of his suits, ask him for his tailor’s contact. One of the cool things about the suit community is we don’t mind sharing our tailor’s information, which might not be the case in the sneaker head community. Once you have the contact information of the tailor, give him a call and set up a meeting. Going into this meeting, you need to bring your ideal look. Your ideal look should be a picture of what you want you suits to look like on you. But fellas PLEASE keep in mind, if you’re big and tall, don’t take a picture of Kevin Hart in a suit. Be honest with yourself and your tailor. Also discuss turnaround time and price.

Final word of advice, take your lady with you. Sure you’re having a suit tailored, which is a normally a man event, but as men we have to understand who it is we’re putting the garments on for. Not one time have I ever cared about what other men think of me in my suit. Men get dressed in suits for women because they are the only ones who care. And if you’re in a committed relationship, your lady’s is the only opinion you care about, but she cares about what the other women think of her plus one. So bring her along to save embarrassment later on at her friend’s wedding.
 
- @theNewCheap

No comments:

Post a Comment